I find the "Short Decription" for each story is too short

The short description in story publishing is way too short.
I’ve never seen a site that cuts the log line down to 100 characters. The shortest I’ve seen is 400 characters for a short description, and most log lines are typically over 250. There’s no room to actually tell anyone what the book is about in 100. I would skip it entirely if I had the option and let the cover sell the book instead. I suggest increasing the size of the “short description.”

11 Likes

I second this. There’s something to be said for brevity, but this is taking it to an extreme.

3 Likes

Literally even another 20 characters would help so much. :pray:

2 Likes

Agreed!

Would love to have 150-200 characters for this.

1 Like

I generally don’t use the short description because even my taglines are too long sometimes.

2 Likes

I use it as the Ultimate Elevator Pitch, but I agree, it would be easier if it was in the range of 150-200 characters.

2 Likes

I’ll echo what @RandolphLalonde said: I’ve been creating taglines for my stories for twenty-two years now, and I’ve never encountered a bookstore or online fiction site that required me to compress my tagline into 100 characters. Amazon shows about 800 characters of the blurb before the “read more” cut. Smashwords/D2D allows a 400-character teaser to be posted. I’ve been checking, and about half my taglines are longer than 100 characters. I really don’t want to have to come up with new taglines for dozens of stories. :confused:

I’m also finding this restrictive as a Ream reader. One hundred characters are usually too short to give me a sense of whether I want to click to see the blurb.

You seem to have plenty of space next to covers for a longer teaser. Would you consider upping your character count to 400, to match Smashwords/D2D? Or at least raise the tagline to 200 characters, as the above folks have urged?

3 Likes

I’m wondering if this was really meant to be 100 words instead of 100 characters?

6 Likes

Please make this longer, as requested. I have so much trouble with this.

2 Likes