Will the Ream App appear on the Apple or Android Stores?

Will the Ream App appear on the Apple or Android Stores? If so, is there a rough timeline?

1 Like

This is a great question! Right now we don’t have a timeline. We do plan to release push notifications inside the Ream app, which can be downloaded directly from our site here: Ream Help Center | How to Download the Ream App. With Apple’s recent support of direct-downloaded apps (google built the technology about 7 years ago) we think we have a unique opportunity to make it easy for readers to pay inside the app while getting an experience very close/identical to a native app. In short – all of the upsides of having an app without the downsides of Apple’s fees or forcing readers to pay outside the app, which craters conversions. The only difference is how it is downloaded. of course, we will let readers have the verdict as we roll out more updates to bring the Ream app on par with a native app (in the App Store) experience. Once it’s there if readers like it just as much as a native app, then we likely will not pursue building native app in the short to medium term. If readers want us to build one, then we will see what resources we’d need to build it out as it would be a massive undertaking for us.

3 Likes

Also, not just the Apple/Android fees, but I believe there may be some pushback from the companies hosting an app in their store since some of the stories on Ream contains adult/mature content.

3 Likes

Happens all the time with web comic apps, unfortunately. I’ve uninstalled apps when I’ve been forced to use the web browser to read certain series.

1 Like